Friday, December 5, 2008

Child monks: youth in exile.




I spent over a week in Sikkim early in 2008. A lot of my time was spent haunting the surrounding monasteries. Of everything & everyone I saw there, what struck me most was the detached quietness of the young novice monks.
Some, I found, were as young as 3 or 4 & had been brought by their parents from neighboring countries like Nepal, Bhutan and Tibet to study Buddhism. Many rarely saw their parents since they lived far away and travel is expensive for poor families.
There were 2 very young monks that drew my attention on the day I spent in Enchey. They spoke only Nepali but understood Hindi. Amazed at how innocent & quiet they seemed, I asked them if they got to meet their mothers. One nodded 'yes' & the other slowly shook a 'no'. They had a part time female nurse who played with them at the monastery during the day but no female was allowed in after closing time.

Cameras used: Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)

Lenses used:
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Lens
Canon - Lens - 50 mm - f/1.4 USM - Canon EF

No comments: